Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Some things aren't meant to go together....

I am quite the fan of some of the various Celtic influenced music. I like some of the more traditional Celtic bands, such as Clannad. I also enjoy Iona's Celtic influenced Progressive Rock (sorta Clannad meets Pink Floyd). Then, who can't enjoy the the strains of some good old Celtic influenced punk, like the Pogues, Flogging Molly or Boston's own - the Dropkick Murphys.

However, I while egosurfing for my own last name, I made a horrific discovery. A chimera of shocking proportions. A freak of nature.

I discovered Irish Country Music. No, this isn't another name for traditional Irish music. This is Celtic influenced country - and was absolutely awful.

I'm not a huge country fan, but some of it I do like - I actually like Garth Brooks quite a bit and Johnny Cash as well. Although bluegrass brings out the northeastern prejudices of mine and I can only think of snake handlers and Deliverance, I actually do enjoy some bluegrass influenced folk rock, such as Indelible Grace and Caedmon's Call.

However, this genre sets a standard of just being terrible. What's odd and scary is that it seems to have been around for a while and actually has fans.

I include a few videos below and I apologize in advance if any of my readers are avid Irish Country fans.







No comments: